Scabies Causes, Signs & Symptoms, Treatment, and Preventionposted by: Rio Dianne
Scabies is an infectious skin disease brought about by Sarcoptes scabiei. These tiny mites burrow into one’s skin which eventually lives there and continue laying eggs. People of all ages and races can be affected with the skin condition. Contrary to the belief, scabies is not one of the sexually transmitted diseases, but this can be passed on through direct contact to the person or to the mite itself which are considered the causes of the infection. Learn more as we give you scabies causes, signs and symptoms, treatment, and prevention tips by reading them below.
Norwegian Scabies – What it is
Norwegian scabies is the term given to the severe type which causes crusting of the scabs. This targets patients with weak defense system and the older people. Sufferers of this kind require immediate and intense medical treatment.
What are the Early Scabies Signs and Symptoms
- Rash which is more prominent in between the fingers
- Crusts and sores from excessive scratching
- Blisters on any part of the body including the head, trunk, abdomen, palms, and soles
How to Treat Scabies
Unfortunately, scabies does not run its course on its own. A special cream and lotion is usually used as prescript meds for the problem. Therefore, once the onset of symptoms is seen, it is necessary that you seek medical attention immediately to avoid passing the infection.
Permethrin cream and malathion lotion are two of the most commonly used creams to response to the problem. One should follow instructions accordingly since the creams themselves may pose harm to pregnant women and children under six years old.
Home Treatment and Prevention Tips
- Home remedies-wise, it is important that you wash all clothing and beddings using hot water and clean any carpets and furniture that may be a breeding ground for mites.
- Keep away from any animals such as dogs which may be carrier of mites thus aggravating the problem.
- Make sure that your fingernails are cut to eliminate any mites dwelling on it and to avoid any blisters when itching occurs.
- Since itching may cause great discomfort, one home remedy is through the use of other antihistamine meds such as Benadryl and Atarax may be given to alleviate the symptoms.
- Sulfur soap may also be used as another home remedy to help alleviate problems concerning scabies.
Scabies is highly contagious which is why it is important that you seek medical attention so that proper treatment plan may be observed thus helping one on how to cure the condition.
You might also like