Tonsillitis Home Remedies – Treat Strep Throatposted by: Rio Dianne
The tonsils play a role in the immunity system which is present in the rear end of the mouth. But, there are also conditions when they get damaged and infected. Thus the inflammation of the tonsils is known as tonsillitis characterized by red marks on the affected area or even white bumps that can’t be scraped off the mouth.
Some of the Common Symptoms of Tonsillitis are the following :
- Strep throat / sore throat
- Difficulty swallowing
- Runny nose
- Nasal congestion
- Pain in the ear
- Swollen lymph nodes
Among the causes of tonsillitis are due to bacterial and viral infections by the streptococcus bacteria and the Coxsackie virus which may lead to further complications. Without treatment, this can be extremely contagious for up to 2 weeks. But, with the use of antibiotics, the contagious period can be shortened up to 2 days.
It is important to consult a doctor once tonsillitis has become chronic as it can be an underlying cause of another condition. Treatment might include undergoing surgery to remove the tonsils or known as tonsillectomy. But, at the onset of the inflammation of the tonsils, you can try some tonsillitis home remedies. These are proven natural remedies capable of treating this unwanted disorder.
Home Remedies to Cure Tonsilitis
- The most common remedy for the inflammation of the tonsil is salt and water. Gargling with salt and water helps kill bacteria and viruses known to have caused this infection.
- To reduce pain in the throat, you can use onion and ginger juices. These will soothe the throat as well as reduce pain.
- Make a mixture of lemon and honey along with hot water. This can provide relief for throat pain and infection.
- Prepare a paste of turmeric roots in hot water. Apply it externally around the throat. The turmeric can aid in alleviation of tonsillitis due to its antibacterial and antiviral properties.
- Oregano is also one of the known herbs to treat tonsillitis due to its antiseptic and stimulant properties.
- Stay hydrated. Drink plenty of fluids despite difficulty in swallowing. You can try wither hot or cold beverages depending on your preference.
- Take a lot of rest.
- Observe a diet plan to recover from tonsillitis quickly. Consume fresh fruits and vegetables as well as yoghurt, tea, and nuts.
- Avoid smoking, alcohol, spices, condiments, and carbonated drinks that can further aggravate the condition.
Together with these tonsillitis home remedies, you can talk to your doctor about antibiotic prescriptions to fully recover from this condition. Hope this has helped. :)
You might also like