How to Treat Laryngitisposted by: Rio Dianne
Laryngitis is the medical term used to refer to the inflammation of the larynx. The condition can be classified as acute wherein its causes are bacterial infections as that of strep throat, cold, cough, sore throat (pharyngitis), and flu. Chronic laryngitis is usually caused by underlying conditions like pneumonia and bronchitis. Depending on its causes, laryngitis can be contagious as well. Associated symptoms of include the following:
- Tickling sensation or dryness in your throat
- Hoarseness or even voice loss
- Constant clearing of the throat
- Dry cough
- Fever and body weakness
Discomfort may be felt and you may lose voice temporarily if you are suffering from the condition. Fortunately, there are a couple of ways you can do on how to treat laryngitis. Well, find out how to cure it by scrolling down below.
Home Remedies on How to Cure Laryngitis
- Drink plenty of fluids, but opt for clear water instead since carbonated and caffeine drinks can even make your throat drier and itchier.
- Gargle saltwater by mixing a teaspoon of salt with a glass of warm water. This will help in killing off the bacteria causing laryngitis as well as providing relief form the condition. Do this at regular intervals.
- Suck on lozenges which can relieve the inflammation of your throat.
- Drink warm honey mixed with lemon juice to help soothe your throat.
- Ginger tea can also be consumed since it has antiseptic properties which can kill the bacteria bringing the occurrence of the condition.
- Inhaling essential oils like eucalyptus, chamomile, lavender, etc through steam can also be beneficial in alleviating the symptoms associated with laryngitis.
- Get plenty of rest. Avoid shouting and talking as possible to prevent your voice box from being strained.
- Avoid smoking as it can irritate your throat more.
- Use a humidifier to ensure that your voice box is hydrated.
- Drink necessary medication such as decongestants and antihistamines as treatment to other illness which can aggravate the condition.
Well, those are just some tips you can do on how to treat laryngitis. But you must remember to see a doctor especially when the condition gets chronic despite practice of home remedies.
You might also like