How to Get Rid of Stink Bugs in the Houseposted by: Gretchen
Your house is a haven of stink bugs. You may not have noticed them before but now that you know that they are enjoying the comfort of your home, you need to get rid of them.
What are stink bugs ?
Stink bugs, which are also called shield bugs, belong to the hemiptera order. They have small glands that emit a malodorous liquid. This is actually their defense against their predators. When they are harmed, they release the odor. They have a triangular shaped plate on their backs. The adult bugs have 4 wings while the young ones do not have any. Most of them are plant eaters and tend to like fruit. Some also eat other insects. They tend to reproduce fast and this can cause damage to plants. They feed themselves in your garden. They are usually found on tomatoes, squash, beans, and melons. They are mostly active from spring to fall. They seem to be attracted to light.
Another characteristic of stink bugs is their high tolerance to pesticides and this makes them hard to control. For some they seek help from bug experts just to get rid of these pests. The good news is you can get rid of them without the help of bug experts.
Ways to Control or Get Rid of Stink Bugs in the House
- Spray pesticides in your garden in early spring.
- Keep your doors and windows closed so they won’t be able to enter your house or room. You can screen for your windows and doors.
- Vacuum the stink bugs and throw them away to avoid smelling the foul odor. This is one method to get rid of them naturally.
- Reduce outdoor lights of your building to avoid attracting them.
- Spray insecticides in the corners of your house.
- Spray nicotine solution on your plants. If you use it with fruits and vegetables, wash them well before eating. You can make nicotine solution by shredding half a packet of cigarettes in a gallon of warm water for 15 minutes. Filter the solution and take the remains and add a tsp o dish washing ingredient. Stir well and it’s already ready to use. Nicotine water will kill them.
To be particular on how they look like, look at the picture included in the post or search online for more photos. Prevent them from entering your house or condo. It will be harder to get rid of them once they’ve conquered your place.
You might also like