Impacted Wisdom Teeth Removal Costposted by: Gretchen
Wisdom teeth, which are also called third molars, cause pain and discomfort during their outbreak. These teeth are the last to come out. They actually come out between ages 17 and 21. They break through the gum tissues and this could lead to pain, swollen gums, and infection (pericoronitis). When they become impacted like the horizontal impaction, they could even lead to more problems and sometimes, the remedy is to undergo oral surgery called wisdom teeth removal.
Wisdom teeth removal involves a procedure that is different from a simple tooth extraction. There are dentists who are capable of removing impacted wisdom teeth but most people prefer the services of an oral surgeon.
Risks of Wisdom Teeth Removal
Just like any other surgeries, wisdom teeth removal also involves risks or complications. We have the following:
- Lower lip numbness
- Sinus opening
- Reaction to medication like Angiodema and Anaphylaxis
The extraction recovery takes about five to seven days. However, if the jaw is damaged during the extraction, full recovery may take up to 6 months.
There are several steps that you can take to ensure proper healing and recovery. These include the following:
- To control bleeding, place a moist, clean piece of gauze over the extraction site.
- A teabag can also be used in lieu of the gauze to prevent or stop bleeding.
- The stitches used during the extraction need to be removed from under the surface of the gum line. But there are stitches that are self-dissolving.
- To ease swelling, wrap ice in a cloth and apply it on the swollen area.
- You can also take pain relievers like Acetaminophen or Ibuprofen.
- Avoid rinsing your mouth your mouth for the first 24 hours.
- Consume soft or liquid diet. Avoid hard food items.
- You can brush your teeth but avoid the extraction socket.
- Rinse the socket with warm salt water after meals and before you go to bed.
Its cost or removal rate actually depends on the experience of the dentist, location, the extent of the procedure, and the type of dental insurance you have. Extracting a wisdom tooth starts around $150-$350 for a tooth which is fully erupted from the gum. For a partially or completely impacted wisdom tooth, the price ranges from $350-$650.
You might also like