How to Treat Severe Heartburnposted by: Rio Dianne
Most sufferers of heartburn only get to experience mild, acute, and occasional cases of heartburn. But some have to deal with chronic of severe one wherein they have to deal with it for a long period of time and the symptoms are actually greater in frequency. Heartburn is a state when the acids in the stomach back up into the esophagus. Severe heartburn may actually be underlying symptoms of a serious condition such gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
Apparently, the condition is also termed as acid reflux or pyrosis. Among its causes is consumption of acidic foods, NSAIDs, drinking alcohol, smoking, and eating spicy foods and chocolate. Other conditions associated with the occurrence are obesity, during pregnancy, and even stress. Symptoms that manifest are usually difficulty in swallowing, acidic taste when belching, vomiting, and burning sensation in the throat. While diet modification and some simple treatment may be done when suffering from it occasionally, severe heartburn may include deeper treatment. This article will provide information on how to treat severe heartburn. Continue reading on to learn more on how to get rid of it.
How to Cure Severe Heartburn
Apparently, the best way to do on how to cure severe acid reflux is to seek medical attention. Your doctor should have noted what causes it severely. Talk with your doctor regarding treatment of underlying conditions. Generally, medications are part of the treatment. Antacids, for instance, are among the preferred choice of drug. This can relieve acid in the stomach thus eliminating the burning sensation felt and reducing build-up of acid in the gastrointestinal tract. H2 antagonists and protein pump inhibitors may also be prescribed by your physician. It would be better to ask your doctor first prior to partaking any medicine.
On the other hand, there are some home remedies and self-care tips on how to treat severe heartburn at home alongside the medical interventions suggested by your physician. Some of them are:
- Avoid foods that can trigger the condition like spicy food, chocolates, caffeine, carbonated drinks, alcohol, etc.
- Talk to your doctor about modification of treatment like NSAIDs.
- Diet should be small and frequent. Avoid lying down immediately after each meal.
- Cessation of smoking can naturally help in providing relief.
- One home remedy that has been used by a lot of people especially in children is baking soda. It is said to have the properties like that of an antacid that can neutralize the acid in the stomach. Dissolve about half a teaspoon of it on a half glass of water and drink it. However, it would be better to check it out with your doctor first.
If you continue to worry about your symptoms, better ask help form a medical professional as worrying ca n trigger the symptoms even more. This is how to treat severe heartburn. Take charge of your health and stay healthy!
You might also like