How to Stop your Breast from Producing Milkposted by: Gretchen
Breastfeeding is best for your baby but the time has come for you to stop it. But this is a tough decision. As a mother, you want your baby to get the necessary nutrients that he/she needs to be healthy. But you have your own reasons of course and all good things just come to an end. Milk production from breasts stops after sometime, when you stop breastfeeding your baby. The weaning process takes time. It takes you months to stop the milk supply totally. It can also be painful but the following tips may help you deal with the situation.
How to Prevent Breast Milk Production
- Wean gradually not abruptly. This will condition your body to stop producing milk. It will tell your body to stop or slow down the production of milk over time. As you do this, feed your baby using bottle.
- You need to express a few drops of milk to relieve you from swelling.
- Apply cold compresses, cold cabbage leaves, or gel packs to relieve pain and reduce swelling.
- Check your breasts frequently. If you do have any problems, see your doctor immediately.
- You can also take pain relievers to deal with discomfort.
- Avoid any kind of nipple simulation because it can resume the production of breast milk.
- Drink 2-3 cups of sage tea every day.
- Drink plenty of water. This can help dry up the breast milk supply.
- Don’t allow your baby to feed in order to relieve pressure. Making the baby feed from your breasts will not help. It will stimulate the production instead.
- Don’t use heat to relieve the pain. It can aggravate the discomfort.
By doing these tips, you will be able to deal with the pain and will stop your busts from producing milk. If doing these things does not help and your boobs still produce milk, pay a visit to your doctor and end your agony.
You might also like